CBITS-RTM groups are facilitated by one school facilitator and one community facilitator. This partnership is essential to the success of curriculum implementation. To deliver the curriculum with fidelity, please utilize the CBITS-RTM Manual for reference. This manual is a step-by-step guide to each session, including teacher, caregiver, and individual trauma exposure sessions. Please note the new format and content on racial trauma implemented in 2021-2022.
Before Group Begins
Once you’ve identified your group members, begin gathering active consent forms. This process can be challenging. You may need to get creative to get these signed and returned. Calling home, catching a caregiver at drop off or pick up, or swinging by their home have been successful for many in the past. Some districts use an online platform such as Permission Click. Contact your district lead to see if this is an option. A verbal consent is not sufficient for group participation. Written permission is required for every student participating. If you have further questions about consent, talk to your district lead.
As you obtain active consents, work to secure a consistent meeting place for your group (ideally a place with minimal distractions) and connect with your co-facilitator to determine meeting dates and begin planning for group sessions.
- Secure a place to hold your group
- Communicate with your co-facilitator about dates and times to hold each session (be mindful of testing, PD, and holidays)
- Communicate with teachers about students who will attend the group and how these students can manage missed work
- Arrange your schedule to protect your group time
Throughout Group Sessions
If you plan to use them, send out Session Videos before each session. The videos are great tools to help introduce concepts you then reinforced during groups.
To promote consistent and timely attendance, consider sending reminder emails to students, providing passes in the morning, or picking students up from class a few minutes before group starts. Each group is full of content. Every minute matters!
Check in on homework each week. Consider using Google Classroom as an online option. The more practice students get with the skills, the more habitual they become. You can remind students to complete the homework mid-week or assign school-based interns to assist with homework completion between sessions.
Check in with absent students to catch them up on missed content. Remind them they are an important part of group and that the group is better with them there!
Communication with caregivers and teachers is key to successful student outcomes. Send out the weekly letters to caregivers and teachers. The letters provide information about each session and ways to support the student at home and in the classroom. Click here to access letters on the resources page.
Remember to complete your individual sessions with students between Group Sessions 3 and 6. Coordinate with your community facilitator to divide up individual sessions, secure meeting space, and notify students of their individual session times.
- If using, send out session videos prior to the day of group.
- Send out reminder emails and hall passes the morning of group or pick up students a few minutes BEFORE group start time.
- Check in weekly about homework
- Catch absent students up on missed content.
- Send out weekly caregiver and teacher letters after each session.
- Plan for and schedule individual sessions.
Session Videos – English
Teacher & Caregiver Letters – English
A note about boundaries: School Facilitators should take the lead in communicating with students and families outside of the group. Community Facilitators should not share their email address nor communicate with students via email due to the limited scope of their relationship. Sharing email addresses may lead to continued communication after the end of the group.
Before Group Begins
Communicate with your school co-facilitator about the days and times to hold your group. Remember to consider testing days and days- off.
Set up your group in REST Connect so you can track attendance once group begins. For step-by-step instructions, go to the REST Connect tab. Besides attendance, no other notes are recorded for the group.
As the community facilitator, you will be in charge of materials, snacks, taking attendance, leading the curriculum delivery, and ensuring weekly letters go out to caregivers and teachers. Additionally, you should work with your co-facilitator to plan for and schedule a Caregiver Session.
Once groups begin, you will need to attend 2-3 consult groups throughout the length of your group. It is okay to schedule these prior to group beginning.
If at any point throughout the group you’d like additional support or consultation, please reach out to the REST program staff!
- Schedule group days/times with co-facilitator
- Enter group participants into REST Connect
- Prep your materials
- Snacks (if allowed; consider allergies and restrictions)
- Schedule Caregiver Session with co-facilitator (see the manual for details)
- Schedule your consult group times (2-3 throughout the length of the group)
Throughout Group Sessions
Continue collaborating with your school facilitator to deliver the curriculum with fidelity. Remember to bring group materials and snacks. Following each group, please input student attendance in REST Connect and ensure weekly letters go out to caregivers and teachers.
Between Group Sessions 3 and 6, you and your co-facilitator will hold individual sessions for each student. Coordinate with your school facilitator on where, when, and with whom to meet.
As group progresses, remember to attend 2-3 consult groups with REST staff. Consult groups are a great place to share helpful strategies, ask questions, and connect with others leading CBITS-RTM groups across the county.
- Deliver the CBITS-RTM curriculum objectives with fidelity
- Bring materials
- Snacks (if permitted; consider allergies and restrictions)
- Art supplies for Sessions 6 & 7
- Update attendance weekly in REST Connect
- Co-facilitate Caregiver Session
- Attend 2-3 consult groups
- End of group: Student Satisfaction Survey
Group Consultation Schedule
- List of Videos with Links
- Training Slides- PDF
- RTM Research
- The Race Project Video Please be aware: there is strong language in this video which has been edited out. The edited language is identifiable and students should be made aware that they will hear it. Please watch the video in advance of showing it in group so you can be prepared as well.